Carbon Educators and Researchers Together for Humanity (CarbonEARTH)
CarbonEARTH brings Penn State STEM graduate fellows together with grade 4-8 teachers from Harrisburg and Philipsburg-Osceola Area School Districts to enhance graduate Fellow's non-technical communication skills, expand teachers' understanding of science content and research in fields related to carbon, and engage students in open-inquiry investigations related to matter, energy, ecosystems and earth processes.
- Collaborating with K-12 teachers, scientists and engineers to design the program
- Training graduate Fellows in K-12 science teaching strategies
- Providing professional development for participating teachers in inquiry based science teaching
- Providing ongoing support as they engage grade 4-8 teachers and students in open-inquiry projects related to Fellows' research areas
- Guiding Fellows in design and implementation teacher workshops addressing aspects of authentic scientific research and its application in the classroom